AS WE PREPARE FOR THE US TITLE SERIES NATIONALS AT DEPUE PRESENTED BY THE DEPUE MEN'S CLUB AND SPECIAL INVITE TO THE 5 MOD CLASSES, WE WOULD LIKE TO MAKE SURE THAT ALL MOD DRIVERS ARE
AWARE OF THE RULES TO BE USED.
Lake DePue National Championship Boat Races, the MODs will run under US Title Series Race and Safety Rules, and NBRA Tech Rules.
USTS Flag Colors will be used throughout the races.
USTS and NBRA use some different color Flags during the course of their races:
• The time from 3 Minute Gun to 1 Minute Gun
o USTS use Green Flag (this Flag will be used)
o NBRA use Yellow Flag (this Flag will not be used)
• The time from 1 Minute to Start
o USTS use White Flag (this Flag will be used)
o NBRA use Green Flag (this Flag will not be used)
• The time after Start to Last Lap
o USTS and NBRA both use Green Flag
• Last Lap
o USTS and NBRA both use White Flag
o USTS and NBRA both use Checkered Flag
• Race Course is Closed, Stop Racing
o USTS and NBRA both use Red Flag
• Caution, Debris or Stopped Boat on Course
o USTS use Yellow with Blue Stripe Flag (this Flag will be used)
o NBRA use Blue/White Flag (this Flag will not be used)
The Starting Procedure of both USTS and NBRA are similar.
Clarification for MOD Drivers:
The USTS Clock has 3 Red Digits on a Black Background, Minutes and Seconds are Shown, the Clock Counts Down by Seconds starting at 3 Minutes. The MOD classes will have a 3 Minute Clock.
• At the 3 Minute Gun the Clock is started, and GREEN Flag is displayed
• Drivers East of the Sea Wall - leave Pits, turn Right towards #1 Turn and enter Race Course
• Drivers West of the Sea Wall - leave Pits, go Straight into #1 Turn to enter Race Course
• Stay inside Outer Buoys, travel only Counter-clockwise and NO Circles on Race Course
• If Boat Stops, Paddle off Race Course
• At the 1 Minute Gun, the White Flag is displayed
• Before “Final Approach to Start” it is permissible to enter or exit the “Starting Shoot”
• Final Approach to Start
o Mod’s “Safety Buoy” is First Buoy in Turn #2
o Round all Turn #2 Buoys
o The MOD’s “Starting Shoot” is the 500 Foot Buoy to Start Line
o You may abort your Final Approach BEFORE the 500 Foot Buoy, you must go around to First Buoy in Turn #2 to rebegin Final Approach
o 500 Foot Buoy to Start Line – Remain in a Straight Line and Parallel to the Course
• Finish – Checkered Flag
o Heat Ends when 1st Legal Boat cross Finish Line
o All other Boats Must Finish their Current Lap
o STOP Racing and return to the Pits
Race is not Official until 3 Starters cross Start Line in at least 1 Heat
Mod’s “CUT OFF RULE” is replaced by USTS “OVERLAP AND BEARING AWAY RULES”
• OVERLAP RULE: When two boats are cockpit to cockpit, an overlap is established. In a position of an overlap, the following rules shall apply:
• The lead boat has the right of way until the overlap is established.
• The overtaking boat must leave a safe lane.
• The overtaken boat cannot force an overlap after the lead boat has altered its course.
• Any violation of the overlap rule listed above will result in the disqualification of the offending driver for that heat and all restarts of that heat.
• BEARING AWAY RULE: A boat shall not bear out of her course so as to hinder another boat in passing to the starboard side.
Meaning of rules: OVERTAKING BOAT Must leave a SAFE LANE to OVERTAKEN BOAT, and INSIDE BOAT Must Not Block OUTSIDE PASSING BOAT